New Zealand In Depth has partnered with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office to give you up to date travel advice on staying safe and healthy abroad. We recommend that you visit the government’s Travel Aware website before you travel.
On the Travel Aware website, you can find advice on travel insurance, up to date safety advice for specific countries and checklists to help you plan your trip, you can also follow them on twitter @FCOtravel and on Facebook.com/FCOtravel.
You can follow the links below to access advice:
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office also provides the following advice:
- Take out appropriate travel insurance before travelling and make sure it covers you for all the activities you want to do.
- Learn about the laws, customs and entry requirements of the country you’re visiting and understand how they differ from home, check www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
- Check your passport is valid, fill out the emergency details, look after it while travelling and keep it in a safe place. Make sure you have all necessary visas.
- Make copies of important travel documents, take a picture or make copies and store them securely using a secure data storage site.
- Research vaccinations or any other medical requirements for your destination, and if necessary visit a travel health clinic before you travel. For medical advice visit travelhealthpro.org.uk.
- Tell your friends or family about your travel plans and where you’re going and leave emergency contact details. Take enough money with you and have access to emergency funds.
- Ensure you take the contact details of the local British Consulate in case of emergencies – www.gov.uk/government/world/embassies.
- Understand what consular staff can and can’t do to help British nationals travelling overseas, check www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-for-british-nationals-abroad-a-guide.
- Act responsibly and be responsible for yourself when abroad.